Gold Guide affiliate

Thursday 22 March 2012

Nephalem Valour clarifications

Courtesy of Reddit we have some more information about the new game mechanic:

Straight from Blizzard:
  • How many stacks if any?
    We're not totally sure but probably a number you can count on one hand.
  • Do you lose the buff when you die
    It lasts through death currently, and we like it. I know some people will also want it to be a punishment for death, but repair costs are already extremely impactful.
  • If the buff splits between players
    Like someone joins after you've been killing and they have less stacks? It's a direct increase to your MF/GF, so it uses the same mechanics.
  • If you lose it on disconnect
    There's a small grace period, similar to WoW where you can get back into the game before your character is actually logged out (ie a timeout), but yes if your character times out you would lose the buff.
  • Time limit on stack if any?
    We're messing with times from about 15 minutes to an hour. We don't know yet.
  • Stacks removed after boss?
    We don't really think it needs to. Your focus is still going to be seeking out champions and rares. If you want to get full stacks, kill a boss, and then try to rush to kill another boss before the buff falls off... have fun? It's not going to be the most lucrative way to play, so it's likely a non-issue hypothetical.
NOTE: This system is still WIP and nothing is final!

When you say extra loot, do you mean, extra loot. Or do you mean extra loot that is on par with what elite/champs drop. I remember from the article before, bosses do not drop gear that is as good as champs/elites.

They will drop gear as good as champions and elites with this buff (because you have to kill champions and elites to get it, which was the point). With the buff active you’re guaranteed one extra item drop from the boss, and it’s likely that it’ll be 1 item per stack of the buff. Up to X stacks. We don’t know how many it’ll be, probably a handful. 

(Hat tip to Degrin).

7 comments:

  1. I feel like an hour would be best. At 15 minutes in Inferno, it could take you longer than that to reach the next elite, especially if you stop to check your gear, AH, craft, grab a snack, take a poop, etc...

    Making it disappear after death would encourage people to change specs more often and try new skill combinations, but it would also cause people to play much more conservatively as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Degrin, I'm so sorry, I saw a comment of yours and accidentally deleted it rather than clicked to go to it.

    As for the time until it drops off I'm actually quite open to 15 minutes. It would see a fast frantic pace that quite suits an action game. I think it would be really fun.

    You're probably right and it will be longer, 30m or an hour simply because the game looks too hard to kill a boss pack every 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A potential problem (for me) that I'm finding with the emphasis on champion packs. Curious to hear your thoughts on it...

    Scenario - I joined a public game with only one other person in it and used the banner to join them. We were happily clearing levels when a new player joined. This new player jumped to the waypoint ahead of us and ran through all the remaining levels (speed boots) to the Skeleton King. They only killed normal mobs when they had to, and I eventually realized that they were simply farming the champion packs without making the slightest attempt to kill along with the rest of us.

    When I did catch up to the new player, he continuously left me fighting a large pack of normal mobs and just ran ahead so far that I wasn't getting loot for his kills anymore. He essentially used me as a blocker to advance himself to the good loot.

    The Result - Once I realized that from my current position in the early Royal Crypts on to the Skeleton King would be clear of all champion packs, it effectively killed my will to continue playing that pubic game. The new player ruined the experience for me and the original creator of the game. When I confirmed over party chat what the new player was up to he said, "Yeah, that's how Blizz wants us to play. I know it's sh*ty. Sorry."

    I can't help but think that this is what all public games will become in D3 especially with the Nephalem Valor addition. People using the added players for the bonuses and attempting to out-farm you so they can leave and join another game. To me, it destroys the "multi-player" experience.

    I realize that there are always private games or that I can play with friends, but I was really looking forward to the open public games too. Now, not so much. I also thought that the new system where everyone has their own loot would improve on this.

    Sorry for the long post.

    -Rex

    p.s. I've been a reader for a while. Love your posts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, good point.

    I think there are two things that will save the game experience.

    1) Difficulty. It's easy to run ahead and solo in Normal but you may not be able to beat all those champion packs alonein Inferno or even Hell.

    2) Kick button. Although there's no kick button now in beta it's distinctly possible that they might add one.

    Otherwise I agree, your only fun options are starting a new game or keeping up somehow.

    Also thanks very much for the kind words, it's always great to know people are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After considering our discussion, I think things will be fine in the full game. I agree with the difficulty comment. At the very least it will cut down on the frequency of my scenario occurring. I really like the Nephalem Valor addition and don't mind if someone joins my game and clears content behind or farther ahead of where I'm currently progressing.

    The kick button would probably get abused in some way...

    The beta is such a restricted slice of the full game, which is something I keep forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the Kick button would definitely get abused but if it's your game you get to control the abusing.

      Delete
  6. Another point too: MF is averaged.

    Imagine some fast player running ahead and killing all the boss packs. Suppose Nephalem valour is at best 500% MF and no one has MF gear.

    If he is in a game with 3 other people and he's the only person getting the buff he has +125% MF.

    If he let's you catch up so that everyone has the buff he has +500% MF.

    ReplyDelete